Friday, January 29, 2010

29/365 Stop

My mind was racing about a million different things. Always, when this happens, God tells me to "stop". When I looked around me today when that happened, I saw this. To go with that, I had a reflective moment in english yesterday that made me stop and think and look back on things. We had to read The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It is a Vietnam story of the soldiers and not only the literal things they carried but figuratively as well. It opened my eyes a bit because we all have "things" that we carry. Heavy burdens, obligations, emotions, ourselves, clothing, memories.....and so on. The coolest thing I heard was this...."We share and carry the impact and holding power of memory." I thought that was so deep. We all have memories whether good or bad that we carry with us everywhere. We all carry emotions that go with those memories whether it be exciting, happy, sad, intense, fearful, laughable....anything. The most important thing is that we remember who we "carry" those memories with. Those we take to heart. So STOP and take a moment to think...

"They carried like freight trains; They carried it on their backs and shoulders--and for all the ambiguities of Vietnam, all the mysteries and unknowns, There was at least the single abiding certainty that they would never be at a loss for things to carry."
Tim O'Brien
The Things They Carried